Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Recipes, Planting, and Family

Hey All,

Sunday was a day of many first. I started the morning off by trying out a new recipe on the kids.

Oatmeal Pancakes

2 eggs
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup chopped nuts or dried fruit (optional)

1. Mix the eggs with the oil. Separately, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

2. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then stir in the orange juice.

3. Heat butter in a large frying pan, then drop about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake into the pan. Sprinkle on nuts or fruit, if desired. Cook one side until the bubbles that form on the top burst. Then flip and cook until the other sides are golden brown.

Makes 6 pancakes


Of course I had to make a double batch for this crew and I heard many complaints while making them. Only 1 child liked them and said he would eat them again. Colin had found this book at the library and we was wanting to make a lot of things out of it. Turns out he wasn't wanting to help me he just wanted me to make them. Family Fun Cooking with Kids.

The boys and I worked on this during the afternoon. We made Colin his own spot because he wanted to plant seeds. Hopefully they will do something but we really need some rain . Dale couldn't believe I was using the old wheelbarrow to plant flowers in. The boy just doesn't have an imagination!

Next I decided to try another recipe for a snack. Tony used to make this cheese and sausage dip a lot but we hadn't had it in a long time.

16 oz. velveeta cheese
8 oz. sausage
3 or 4 tablespoons salsa

Fry sausage up. Melt cheese and put sausage and salsa in and mix up and heat on low.

Tortilla Chip Strips

6 large flour tortillas
vegetable oil cooking spray
salt

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cut tortillas into strips and place on a baking sheet in single layers. Holding the can of cooking spray about 12 inches away, lightly spray the tortillas. Sprinkle with salt.

3. Bake for 3 minutes. Turn and bake for 4 ot 5 minutes, until lightly browned.

All 3 of the kids really liked these with the dip but dear hubby said they are okay but I would rather have chips. This recipe for the strips was another found in the Family Fun Cooking with Kids.

Later that evening there wasn't anything on TV and I was wanting something different. I decided to make this cake I hadn't made in years. A simple and easy cake that my mother made all the time when I was little.

Mayonnaise Cake

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
3 level tbsp. baking cocoa

Mix these up. And in another bowl...

1 cup sugar
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cold water
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix it up a little and then beat in dry ingredients until smooth.

Put into cake pan and bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.

Mom always made peanut butter frosting for this but none of my children like peanut butter. I had a can of cream cheese icing that I put on it.


I've been working on these projects when I have had time. The afghan is for Kaylee for Christmas and the Rooster and Chicken tray is going to be for me. I have many things that are started that I need to finish before I start anything else. Hmm...let's see how that works! lol

THEY ARE BACK! Brendon and Kaylee came yesterday afternoon and will be here until Friday afternoon. Jessie has to work a lot of odd hours this week and instead of taking them to this person and that person she has brought them to stay with us. Nothing unusual about that.

I love Shepherd's Pie and found a different version of it in the Family Fun Cooking with Kids book.
Shepherd's Pie

Potato Topping

6 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sour cream
milk
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
paprika

Filling

2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup beef broth
1 cup diced canned tomatoes
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce

Boil potatoes with salt until tender, about 10 minutes.

While potatoes are cooking start the filling. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute` onions and celery in the butter stirring often, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the ground beef and break it up with a wooden spoon as it browns. Drain the fat.

Lower the heat a bit, then stir the garlic and flour into the beef mixture. Stir in beef broth, canned tomatoes, herbs, corn and worcestershire sauce. Gently simmer the mixture for several minutes , partially covered, then add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture to a large buttered casserole dish. Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Drain the cooked potatoes and add butter and sour cream and mix with mixer, adding enough milk to make medium-soft mashed potatoes. Salt to taste.

Spoon the potatoes evenly over filling. Sprinkle with cheese and then sprinkle paprika. Bake on the center oven rack for about 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.

Makes 5 to 6 servings

I was very pleased to find that everyone liked this. That doesn't happen often. It's different than the Shepherd's Pie I normally make and will make for a good change.

I better get busy and find something for lunch.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love oatmeal pancakes! Thanks for sharing the recipes, being empty nesters now, I don't cook like I used too, expect on holidays and for guests, but I remember trying out recipes all the time on the kids, such torture! lol

Susan said...

Vickie, where do you find the time to do anything? Your always so busy. Thanks for the recipes.

Paula said...

Oh, all those food pictures made my mouth water!
I've heard of the mayonnaise cake before but never tried any... I may have to now. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful recipes, Vickie!